Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Why comment?

Common explanations for not commenting on blog posts:

1. "I don't want people to know what I wrote."

2. "I don't have anything to say."

3. "We have different opinions and I don't want to cause a ruckus by stating mine."

4. "It's too much work."

5. "You'll think it's weird that I read your blog."

Lame, lame, lame, lame, and LAME. (Yes, that is five lames.) Those are lame excuses for not commenting. I am now going to refute the legitimacy of these claims.

1. Use the anonymous button.

2. That is just not true. Reading requires thinking. So if you don't have thoughts while you are reading then you cannot read. So just write your thoughts.

3. We are different people with different thoughts, so a difference of opinion will not offend me or cause a ruckus. Re-frame your thinking so that you realize disagreements are actually good because they make discussions interesting! I don't even mind if you comment correcting my grammar. I know I need it.

4. Seriously? I even made the settings so you don't have to register on Blogspot to comment. If you don't have enough motivation to click "comment" at the end of the post, I don't know how you gathered up enough motivation to start reading this blog post. Go eat some Doritos and fly a kite.

5. Contrary to popular belief (that is sarcasm), when blogs are posted on the internet, everyone can read them. While it is also true that another purpose of writing is for personal satisfaction (like a journal), the fact that I am posting on the internet proves that I don't mind if you read it too. Even if you don't know me very well or I haven't seen you in awhile, I would love to hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. I think flying a kite would require more motivation than commenting.
    I also think it would have been nice if you started this blog on January 1st, 2010 (today!) because I like when things coincide start dates. Example: I am going to start keeping a daily journal today, and I was supposed to start running today, but that will start tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree about the date thing. I wish I had thought of that. I discovered that I can change the post date though, so maybe I will move them all to 2010 once I have more posts. If I did that now there would be 7 posts in 3 days, which seems slightly excessive.

    "Go fly a kite" definitely does require more effort, but I couldn't think of anything. Also, it is a much much much milder replacement for another phrase that is the same number of syllables and has some of the same letters. This phrase would also require effort if you really think about it. I'll tell you later if you don't know what I mean.

    Also, are you planning on running outside or on a treadmill? Cause maybe we can run together sometimes for motivation and talk about Harry Potter like we used to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, just because you have an entry yelling at people who don't comment, I feel obligated to. I have to admit some of the entries in this FAQ actually intrigue me, or maybe just the fact that you did utility theory on that couple. Ok, done creeping on your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I could intrigue you. Do you have any other intriguing questions that I should write about? Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but Bertha and Pablo are only a hypothetical couple and not real (although they could be every couple).

    ReplyDelete