Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What did you learn today?

As Kanye West once insightfully said, "that that don't kill me can only make me stronger." He means that when we live through our experiences, we become stronger people. Learning from our experiences contribute to who we are and help us to be better people in the future. Thus, when my dad used to ask me regularly "What did you learn today?" it tripled as a way to stimulate interesting conversation, for him to find out if the school system was making effective use of his tax dollars, and for me to reflect on what I learned so that I could use the knowledge in the future.

Today, some friends and I visited the Rochester Museum and Science Center followed by Spot Coffee. Of course, the museum is a place where knowledge is supposed to be learned, so I thought that this would be a good time to list the things that I learned today so that you too can benefit from this insight.

1. A single first class ticket on the Titanic would cost $43,000 in today's dollars.
2. Ice is intolerably cold.
3. A key works because when you put it in, it makes the bars inside line up.
4. If you look up, you will often find the answer.
5. Don't bring your purse when you are climbing something.
6. Glowsticks are not alive (in case there was any discrepancy).
7. Pregnant women cannot do fun activities such as drink alcohol, ride submarine simulations, and be in earthquakes.
8. When you look at something from a different angle (this is a metaphor but also refers to the top of the stairs at Spot), you can often spot something that you didn't notice before.
9. Start filling a canal lock before the boat gets there so you don't have to wait for it.
10. That indistinct phrase in "Replay" is "Shorty's like a melody in my head that I can't keep OUT."
10. I love my friends even more than I thought I did.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed alone in my room the entire time I read this. I laugned mostly at the pregnant women cannot do fun things like be in earthquakes.

    I love you, and I love all our friends.

    -Caitie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that you should make sure you are at the right museum before you let your dad drive away so that you do not spend the day alone. I also learned that spending a day alone can be simultaneously peaceful and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete