Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

What is your favorite food?

I'm not telling you.

This seems like a simple question, so "Why won't you tell me?" you might ask. You wouldn't have asked this though if I had just told you my favorite food. In this way, I made you think more. See, sometimes you learn more when your questions aren't answered.

For about two weeks when I was younger, all I ate was Quaker white cheddar rice cakes. They were my favorite, the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If I was around when sliced bread was invented, I probably would have said that was my favorite food.

At the moment, I'm partial to onions because they make so many things taste delicious! Recently, delicious onion topped pizza, scrambled tofu and onions, and lasagna with onions have led me to become infatuated with the onion's ability to transform any dish. Which raises another question: What makes something (a food, an answer, a friend) the best? If it is its ability to perform under different circumstances, then answers are not the "best" answers at all because they depend so much on the circumstances (just as my answer to "What is your favorite food?" depends on the circumstances).

If I was stranded on a desert island, onions would absolutely not be my favorite food. Without other foods to mix them with, onions are too tart, and I would much prefer strawberries. Or beans, because they are hearty (and since I'm stranded alone I wouldn't have to worry about gas).

Sometimes it's better to look for more questions than to look for answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment